Friday, August 17, 2012

The Booms Are Going to Get Me!

Right before the 4th of July, Morgan became freaked out during a thunderstorm (the booms as Morgan calls them) and when we lost power she made herself sick.  Thinking this was a onetime occurrence and how odd she was I let it go.  Well another storm rolled in several days later and we lost power again and she got sick again.  So now I have gone into ultra fear mode with storms trying to make it loud in the house so that she doesn’t notice, etc.  Then last night came…

I knew that it was going to storm and just hoped that she wouldn’t notice and prayed we kept the power on.  It has become my assumption that the power going out seems to terrify her to the point of getting sick.  So it had been storming and Maggie (bless her soul) was keeping Morgan entertained.  I had the TV up louder to cancel out the noise.  The satellite went out due to the cloud cover (the one thing I hate about satellite TV) and it got quiet.  Suddenly there was a loud clap of thunder.  Honestly it must have been right on top of us because it was LOUD.  Morgan stopped and screamed in instant terror.  She then proceeded to climb her way onto the couch between her Nana and me.  She made a space so small for herself so that she could be sandwiched between us.  I noticed that her breathing was quite heavy.  I began to coax her to calm her breathing down (because in my mind that’s all we need is an asthma attack and God forbid we have to go OUTSIDE in the storm).  She got very quiet and threw up everywhere – all over herself, me, Nana, Nana’s phone, the couch.  Fun times.  Nana and I look at each other trying to figure out how to best get out of this mess without making a bigger one.  While as soon as I move, Morgan freaks that I got up.  She takes off running to the hallway behind me and proceeds to throw up 3 more times!  Josh, Nana, Maggie, and I just look at each other in disbelief that she actually just did this.  I look at Josh and ask if he thinks she is sick.  His response was nope she’s just neurotic. 

We get her and us and the house cleaned up.  The storms seem to die down so finally I can maybe get her to bed.  I knew better than to put her in her room because she is literally attached to either Nana or me.  So we lay down in “Mommy’s bed” as she calls it.  It was quiet and she was almost asleep when another window shaking thunder sounds.  She sits up in the bed like someone out of a horror movie and screams DADDY, I wanna go to Morgan bed!  Apparently in her mind, the booms were not going to get her in her bed.  So she went to her room.  It wasn’t two minutes later until she was sprinting back to my room. 

She doesn’t like to be held but she wants to touch someone.  So even after I offered to hold her she refused because she’s Morgan and obviously brave.  However, if she could have crawled back into my belly I think she would have.  There was not an inch of space between us.  Finally she fell asleep and the booms left. 

So every time you hear the booms, think of us as we are preparing for Morgan to go into freak out mode – maybe I should complain about Morgan in normal Morganland at least it is somewhat cleaner unless nail polish is involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment